Acute Care Surgery
Acute Care Surgery: Gaining Trauma
Designation Doesn’t Have To Be Traumatic
“Acute care surgery” is a new clinical specialty combining trauma surgery, emergency general surgery and surgical critical care. The surgeons of EmCare® Acute Care Surgery specialize in helping hospitals secure, maintain and increase trauma center designations, and they have succeeded 11 times out of 11 attempts.
- Becoming a trauma-designated facility and delivering better coverage of unscheduled surgeries can have a significant positive impact on case volume and related revenue.
- Operating rooms that were once dark can be busy all day long.
- Surgeons who would not previously consider taking cases to the hospital become frequent customers.
- Primary care doctors and subspecialists begin referring to the hospital more often.
- EMS ambulances never before seen at the hospital now bring their emergency cases instead of driving past the facility on the way to the closest qualified trauma center.
- New EMS patterns lead to the delivery of all types of emergency cases, not just trauma.
- Trauma designation can unlock access to federal and state funding for hospitals that were ineligible to receive those funds prior to attaining a trauma designation.
This “halo effect” of becoming a trauma-designated facility extends not only to the emergency department and operating room, but to every clinical department within the facility:
- More imaging studies
- More labs
- More rehab
- More occupied beds
Indeed, becoming a trauma-designated facility can breathe new life into a hospital. EmCare Acute Care Surgery has an unparalleled record of helping hospitals secure, retain and increase trauma designations.
Additional benefits include:
- Solidifies surgical services at the hospital
- Strengthens the hospital’s reputation within the community
- Enhances physician recruiting efforts
- Keeps surgical cases from migrating away from the facility
Learn more. Watch the video of Dr. John Josephs, CEO of EmCare Acute Care Surgery, download the company brochure or call (877) 416-8079 or email us today.